Parts of Speech
When a word is used in a sentence, it is then put into a part of speech category. The eight parts of speech are:
- Nouns – a person, place, thing, idea, or quality.
- Verbs – show action or state of being.
- Adjectives – describe nouns and tell which, whose, what kind, and how many.
- Adverbs – describe verbs, other adverbs, adjectives, and phrases.
- Conjunctions – join other words, phrases, or clauses.
- Interjections – used to express strong feeling or sudden emotion.
- Prepositions – relationship words that show how one noun relates to another noun.
- Pronouns – replace a noun or a group of words used as a noun.
A word can fit into more than one part of speech category. Let’s take the word back. It can be a:
Noun – Jane has a pain in her back.
Verb – Ray can back the car out of the garage.
Adjective – Don’t forget to close the back door.
Adverb – I‘ll be back in five minutes.
Common Core State Standards specify that students should begin using frequently occurring nouns, verbs, and prepositions in Kindergarten; by third grade, students should begin to demonstrate command of all eight parts of speech, and their understanding and use of words should become more sophisticated every year.
The Parts of Speech activity allows students at all grade levels to practice identifying the part of speech of an underlined word in a sentence. Use as individual, small group or whole class grammar activities to help students fully understand what they have learned.
All lists can be transformed to Parts of Speech worksheets. Browse the sample worksheets below:
- Nouns: People Practice Worksheet (WhichWord Definitions)
- Nouns: Ideas Practice Worksheet (MatchIt Sentences)
- Nouns: Animals Practice Worksheet (Word-O-Rama)
- Verbs: Actions Practice Worksheet (Sentence Unscramble)
- Adjectives Practice Worksheet (MatchIt Definitions)
- Adverbs Practice Worksheet (WhichWord Sentences)
- Correlating Conjunctions Practice Worksheet (Word-O-Rama)
- Prepositions Practice Worksheet (Word Unscramble)
- K-2 Homophones Parts of Speech Practice Worksheet (Parts of Speech Game)
- 3-5 Homophones Parts of Speech Practice Worksheet (Parts of Speech Game)
- 6-8 Homophones Parts of Speech Practice Worksheet (Parts of Speech Game)