To celebrate the Hour of Code this December, VocabularySpellingCity and Science4Us will host over 300 elementary school students from the Broward County Public Schools with the goal of building interest in careers in coding and more generally to careers in high tech. To achieve this, students will learn about specific tech-based careers by meeting with VocabularySpellingCity and Science4Us staff members.
Schools Participating in December 2015:
- Dillard Elementary School (Principal, Angela Brown, Science, TaShara Jean-Baptiste)
- Plantation Elementary School (Principal, Judith E. Pitter, Science, Darlene DeRusha, Tiffany Morris)
- Broward Estates Elementary School (Principal, Cyntheria Hunt, Science, Rasheeda West, Carolyn Claxton)
- Pines Lakes Elementary School (Principal, Susan F. Sasse, Science, Sophia Whittaker)
- Rock Island Elementary School (Principal, Stephen DeCotis, Science, Tonya Wallace)
- RPE STEM Museum Magnet School (Principal, Ducarmel S. Augustin, Science, Christina Hung, Jessica Temple)
Program Pilot in Spring 2015
We piloted the program in May of 2015 with 40, fourth and fifth-grade students from Dillard Elementary School (the SuperCoders club) visiting our offices to learn about careers in:
- Computer programming
- 3D graphics modelling, rendering, and animating
- 2D graphics and animation
- Data life cycles
- Web design
- Quality assurance
- Customer care and support
Our successes at VocabularySpelling City and Science4Us over the last few years have led to many questions, one of which is: How can we contribute most meaningfully back to the communities that we care about the most?
One part of the answer is to establish an ongoing program of career education within the local school system. We hope to provide programs that can be repeated year after year and scaled to other schools and businesses. Mostly recently we have participated in several efforts, including the:
- Hour of Code in schools around Broward County Public Schools in 2014 and 2015
- Broward County Public Schools SECME STEM Olympiad in schools in 2015
- Dillard Elementary (Florida) Career Days organized by Ranger GoodWorks over the last few years.
- Launching of a Career video available to all to watch and discuss
- Representation as a speaker at the Dillard High School Digital Arts Program
If you are interested in talking to us about our Community Support Programs, give us a call at 954-626-3117. Here is more information on the partnership with Broward Schools.
One thought on “Career Days, December 2015 at VocabularySpellingCity and Science4Us”
i love spelling city for mygranddaughter i am her teacher